How to end pregnancy swelling, varicose veins and leg pain: The best maternity compression leggings
A pregnant mother’s body is under huge stress. Swollen legs, varicose veins and frequent leg pains are just a few symptomps known to all mothers. Getting rid of or just mitigating these effects can enable you to focus more on the pleasures of pregnancy. In this article I am going to tell you about a secret. It is not talked about much, but it enables pregnant women to enjoy the blessing of pregnancy while living a full life. I will describe how choosing the best maternity compression leggings can change your whole world during pregnancy.
If you want to live an active life, and continue working into your pregnancy, owning the best maternity compression leggings for your situation can be a true blessing. I used to have so many coworkers, who stayed in the office and continued working even into the latter stages of their pregnancy. They were looking frustrated, and kept telling us boys about how hard it was to work all day long, sit, walk around, how big of a toll this was putting on their bodies.
Which conditions do maternity compression leggings treat?
Now I understand how big a difference the best pregnancy compression leggings could have made in their lives. I wish I would have known about this secret back then. Varicose veins, swollen legs, calf cramps and general leg pains are common symptoms for women during pregnancy. In just a few paragraphs, I will go into how these conditions can be treated easily with the right compression garments.
Are they useful in the postpartum stage?
The best maternity compression leggings can help after the birth of your child also. Every mommy wants to look her best after giving birth to her child. Looking and feeling your best in the postpartum stage can seem like an impossible task, but there are some known tricks and products that can help you achieve just that. Ab shredding exercises can help, but not everybody has the time and energy to exercise with a screaming and kicking baby in the house.
The causes behind varicose veins during pregnancy
Varicose veins are one of the most common symptoms of pregnancy, making life difficult for women. Science tells us that there are two reasons that lead to the appearance of varicose veins during pregnancy: a heavy uterus and hormones.
As you get into the latter stages of pregnancy, your body starts producing hormones that relax the muscles and ligaments. This is intended to help during childbirth, so that the baby can pass easier. As one of the side effects of these hormones, the veins also relax and loose their firmness. The blood suddenly flows slower in the loose veins, in extreme cases it might even stop altogether and pool up.
As the birth of the child approaches, the uterus also expands. A heavy uterus pushes the veins inside the pelvis, and limits the blood flow from the legs.
These two factors are made worse by the increased amount of blood in the mother’s body. During pregnancy the baby gets nutritions and oxygen with the aid of the mother’s circulatory system. There is more blood flowing inside the arteries and veins of the mother, increasing blood pressure, and the workload of the veins inside the legs.
All of these factors contribute to the appearance of varicose veins, and their smaller, less visible counterparts, spider veins.
Varicose veins are not only an inconvenience during pregnancy. If untreated, they can cause phlebitis, or irreversible skin damage.
Graduated or uniform compression?
With graduated maternity compression leggings, all of these symptoms can be taken care of. What does graduated mean? I am glad you asked! It simply refers to a type of compression technology, where your ankles are put under the greatest pressure, and the pressure slowly subsides as the leggings get higher on your legs.
This way the veins inside the ankle – the ones that have to fight the hardest against gravity, and are furthest from the heart – receive the most benefit from compression. All of the best maternity compression leggings are graduated models.
Uniform compression applies the same amount of pressure everywhere. They are excellent in fighting edema, but they can be dangerous if applied in the wrong circumstances. They are available only with a doctor’s prescription.
How much pressure is ideal?
How much pressure is ideal for pregnant women? Based on the review of scientific papers, there is no one range of compression that would work for everybody. There is no straight relationship between the strength of compression, and the quality of the product. The best maternity compression leggings do not necessarily come with the highest compression. Each case is different, and the strength of compression advised differs a lot based on the individual situation of the patient.
You can find compression leggings in multiple pressure zones. The strength of compression is measured in mm Hg – millimeters of mercury. The lowest compression is around 10 mm Hg. On the other end of the spectrum, high compression is around 30 mm Hg.
10- 15 mm Hg – Light compression – These are the most common types of maternity compression leggings on the market. They put just enough pressure on your limbs to eliminate the negative effects associated with pregnancy.
15 mm Hg – 25 mm Hg – Medium compression – These products are also common. They offer a stronger remedy against varicose veins and swelling.
Anything over 26 mm Hg – These models are considered medical grade models. They are prescribed by doctors in extreme cases of varicose veins, swelling or leg pains.
Which material is the best?
Comfort is a huge deal. All the products recommended in this article were designed to give you maximum comfort. The material must have moisture wicking ability. If you are at work, you will likely spend several hours in your hosiery, so it is best if the sweat and moisture can evaporate on its own. Otherwise you would have to remove the hosiery at the end of the day, and find all the sweat and and moisture built up – not a pretty sight.
How long should it be?
There are basically three types of maternity compression stockings when it comes to lenght: Knee-high, thigh-high and full length models. Knee-high products are very similar to compression socks and sleeves, in the sense that they provide support to the lower leg muscles, especially the ankles.
Thigh-high models reach over the knees, supporting the area just over your knee joints. Full length models cover even the lower stomach, and help you fight the famous stomach swelling during pregnancy. Full length model are for those who experience pain from their lower back down even to their toes.
Most full length compression leggings have a belly support area. This stretches as your baby grown, and supports your belly during the pregnancy. If you spend a lot of time on your feet, this support will do wonders in eliminating and preventing back pains.
The longer the product, the more muscles can benefit from the positive effects of compression therapy. So why would anybody prefer knee-high or thigh-high models over full length hosiery? Because the longer the model, the harder it is to put on, and full length models are a pain in the ass to remove when you have to go to the toilet.
Without further ado…the best maternity compression leggings in 2017:
I took all the information available into consideration, and selected five different maternity compression products from Amazon, that have excellent review. They have different designs, different pros and cons. Every mother is different, but these five products give you a wide variety, and enough options to choose the best maternity compression leggings for you!
TOFLY Maternity Thigh High Stockings
- This fashionable product is made of excellent materials that give you comfort while treating varicose veins, edema and swelling. The product gives you excellent comfort and
- Made of 77% nylon and 23% spandex, and excellent mix for durability, elasticity and comfort.
- The TOFLY Maternity Thigh High Stockings puts between 20-30 mm Hg graduated compression on your legs.
- It has an elastic band at the top, which keeps it sitting firmly on your legs.
- Comes with a no questions asked 30 day long money back guarantee. This makes it a safe choice to try out in your search for the best maternity compression leggings.
- Available only in black.
Mothers Essential Maternity Pregnant Women Leggings
- Seamless design to prevent blisters skin burns, and provide maximum comfort
- Made of 92% polyamide and 8% elastane.
- Very elastic fabric fits around and supports your belly perfectly.
- Moisture wicking material keeps your feet dry and hygienic.
- Can be machine washed.
- According to some reviews, they should not be put in the dryer.
- They are a bit thin, might be a bit see through to wear alone on the streets.
Motherhood Secret Fit Belly Maternity Leggings
- Made of spandex and cotton, very comfortable and slimming material.
- Available in six colours: Navy, black, brown, pinot noir, white, green.
- Can be used as a postpartum nursing pant. The belly support part is made of elastic spandex.
- Not see-through.
- Very durable, one pair can get you through the entire pregnancy.
- The seams at the ankles can cause blisters.
Made Mother Pregnancy Compression Socks
- The best design out of all the maternity compression products reviewed.
- Friction-free seams at the toes.
- Extra arch support for better balance during walking or standing up.
- Soft foot padding absorbs the impact of your steps, this prevents knee joint complications.
- Special Y-gore heel design provides excellent fit at the heels.
- Increadibly durable design. You can use them for running, travelling or recovery between training sessions after the birth of your child.
- The best maternity compression socks on the market in 2017 in the opinion of CompressionCarl.
- Since these are socks, they are ineffective against varicose veins in the thighs.
- They don’t support your belly.
Preggers Maternity Compression Leggings
- Made of almost exclusively nylon, with a little bit of spandex added.
- Breathable material keeps you cool all day long.
- Available in seven different colours: Black, coal, navy, papyrus, cocoa, cosmopolitan steel, pine.
- Comes with a stretchy belly support band. It stretches as your baby grows. It can be folded over, if you don’t want to use it.
- The seams are very well designed, very comfortable.
- Not suitable for machine washing. Wash in cold or lukewarm water with mild detergent.
- The compression s on the light side, 10-15 mm Hg. Don’t buy this product, if you have severe leg pains or swelling.
- They are see-through around the belly area, but cover the legs well.
As you can see, there are many factors differentiating the products on the market. Which ones are the best maternity compression leggings depends on the mother who is going to use it. Did you use any particular products during your previous pregnancies? Have you tried any of the models mentioned above? What was your experience?